What is it?
Calling all runners, walkers and joggers! If you’re looking for a great way to stay in shape, build camaraderie with your fellow co-workers and be a part of the largest organized corporate fitness event in the Southeast, then you won’t want to miss a second of the excitement planned for the 2012 Kaiser Permanente Corporate Run/Walk & Fitness Program. Directed by U.S. Olympian Jeff Galloway since 1983, this workplace-organized fitness program has become an annual tradition in the Atlanta business community. The start date for this year was July 23 when the 8-week “Get Active Atlanta!” training phase kicked off. The current phase will last through Thursday, Sept. 13, when this year’s 5K Corporate Run/Walk & Company Picnic steps off at 7 p.m. in Downtown Atlanta.
The free 8-week training program for registered participants includes:
- Walking and running training schedules from Jeff Galloway for beginner and veteran walkers and runners. New this year are Fatburning options with a Get Faster option for experienced runners.
- Ongoing weekday runs at both Phidippides stores, Atlanta’s premier running specialty stores (Sandy Springs 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays and Ansley Mall 6:30 p.m. Thursdays) and in the City of Decatur.
- Fitness tips e-mailed weekly.
- New! Saturday morning Running & Walking Training Program with pace groups - Kickoff on July 21, 7:30 a.m., Phidippides-Ansley Mall
- Discount coupons on fitness items and services.
- Aug. 15-Sept. 12 - Complimentary workouts at LA Fitness—all Metro locations.
What’s happening Sept. 13?
The program culminates in a giant celebration of fitness on Thursday, Sept. 13, across from Turner Field, with a 5K (3.1-mile) run/walk that winds through the business district of Downtown Atlanta. After the Finish Line, there are commemorative T-shirts for all participants, team and candid photos with unlimited free downloads, music by Rupert’s Orchestra, awards ceremony and a Fitness Expo, plus company teams (employees, family, friends) gather in tents for hundreds of office picnics, popularly known as the “World’s Largest Office Party.” Individuals have the option of purchasing a boxed dinner from Jason’s Deli at registration.
There will be separate start areas for elite runners, CEOs, runners/joggers and walkers. Elite runners must submit official documentation for qualifying times:
- Open Men – 6 minutes/mile
- Open Women – 7 minutes/mile
- Masters (40 and over) Men – 6:15 minutes/mile
- Masters Women – 7:15 minutes/mile
- Awards are handed out to top Overall and Masters Men and Women, best team times, most overall participation and best T-shirts. CEO Cups will go to the fastest male and female CEOs. The Kaiser Permanente® Cup is presented to Atlanta’s “most fit” companies in four categories, based on the number of full-time employees. Participation awards also are given to companies in each of 38 industry categories.
Back by popular demand:
- Expanded CEO categories: 30 employees and 30 or more employees.
- Music by Rupert’s Orchestra.
- Ongoing weekday runs from Phidippides Running Stores (Sandy Springs 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays and Ansley Mall 6:30 p.m. Thursdays) and the City of Decatur.
- A portion of the proceeds benefits the Atlanta Braves Foundation and the Atlanta Community Food Bank. (Corporate Can drives benefits the Atlanta Community Food Bank.) New this year: Sneaker Drive to benefit Back on My Feet.
2011 Healthy Company Award Winners: Kaiser Permanente Corporate Cups
- <100 – Morrison Management Specialists
- 100-999 – Chick-fil-A
- 1000-4999 – Verizon
- 5000+ - Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta
- Highest Number of Participants: Verizon