16,000+ Runners/Walkers and over 400 Companies
Enjoy Fun, Fitness & Company Camaraderie
Turner Field, Thursday, Sept. 12, 7 p.m.
What is it?
Calling all runners, walkers and joggers! If you're looking for a great way to stay in shape, build camaraderie with your fellow coworkers and be a part of the largest organized corporate fitness event in the Southeast, then you won't want to miss a second of the excitement planned for the 2013 Kaiser Permanente Corporate Run/Walk & Fitness Program. Directed by U.S. Olympian Jeff Galloway since 1983, this workplace-organized fitness program has become an annual tradition in the Atlanta business community. The start date for this year was July 15 when the 8-week "Get Active Atlanta!" training phase kicked off. The current phase will last through Thursday, Sept. 12, when this year's 5K Corporate Run/Walk & Company Picnic steps off at 7 p.m. in downtown Atlanta.
The free 8-week training program for registered participants includes:
• Walking and running training schedules from Jeff Galloway for beginner and veteran walkers and runners
• Ongoing weekday walks and runs with pace groups at both Phidippides stores, Atlanta's premier running specialty stores (Sandy Springs 6:15 p.m. Wednesdays and Ansley Mall 6:30 p.m. Thursdays)
• Saturday morning Running & Walking Training Program with pace groups - Kickoff on July 20, 7:30 a.m., Phidippides at Ansley Mall
• Kaiser Permanente Boot Camp in Piedmont Park, July 20-Aug. 24
• Fitness tips emailed weekly
• Discount coupons on fitness items and services
• Aug. 15-Sept. 11 - Complimentary workouts at LA Fitness – all Metro locations
What's happening September 12?
The program culminates in a giant celebration of fitness on Thursday, Sept. 12, across from Turner Field, with a 5K (3.1-mile) run/walk that winds through the business district of downtown Atlanta. After the finish line, there are commemorative T-shirts for all participants, team and candid photos with unlimited free downloads, music by The Rupert's Orchestra, awards ceremony and a Healthy Living Expo (starting at 4 p.m.), plus company teams (employees, family, friends) gather in tents for hundreds of office picnics, popularly known as the "World's Largest Office Party." Individuals have the option of purchasing a boxed dinner from Jason's Deli at registration.
There will be separate, monitored start areas for elite runners, CEOs, runners/joggers and walkers. Seeded runners must include a qualifying event on registration form, and elite runners must submit official documentation for qualifying times:
• Open Men – 6 minutes/mile
• Open Women – 7 minutes/mile
• Masters (40 and over) Men – 6:15 minutes/mile
• Masters Women – 7:15 minutes/mile
• Awards are handed out to top Overall and Masters Men and Women, best team times, Most Overall Participation and best T-shirts. CEO Cups will go to the fastest male and female CEOs.
The Kaiser Permanente Corporate Cup is presented to Atlanta's "most fit" companies in four categories, based on the number of full-time employees. Participation awards also are given to companies in each of 38 industry categories.
New this year for an improved start:
• Walkers and runners will have different colored event numbers. Follow the signs to the appropriate start area.
• Seeded runners must include 2012-13 qualifying race information with registration by Aug. 22, 5 p.m., and will receive a seeded section pass from their team captains.
• Elite and seeded sections will be monitored and must be in place at the start line by 6:30 p.m.
Back by popular demand:
• Expanded CEO categories: 30 employees and 30 or more employees
• Music by The Rupert's Orchestra
• Healthy Living Expo hosted by Best Self Atlanta magazine
• T-shirt contest
• Free team and candid photos
• A portion of the proceeds benefits the Atlanta Community Food Bank, Back on My Feet and the Atlanta Braves Foundation. Corporate Can Contest benefits the Atlanta Community Food Bank. The McCart Company is the reigning champion, winning the last three contests.
2012 Healthy Company Award Winners:
• Kaiser Permanente Corporate Cups
• <100 – Meadows & Ohly, LLC
• 100-999 – Cotton States Insurance
• 1000-4999 – Verizon
• 5000+ – Children's Healthcare of Atlanta
• Highest Number of Participants: Verizon
How do I sign up?
For more information or to register, visit www.KPcorporaterunwalk.com or call (404) 843-8727. Follow the program on Facebook and Twitter.