This recipe is free of gluten and all eight of the top food allergens.
1 cup pre-cooked chicken breast (about 4 ounces), cooled and cut into bite-sized cubes
1 package brown rice tortillas or small corn tortillas
14-ounce can tropical fruit in pineapple juice, drained
¼ cup canned garbanzo beans, drained
½ cup fresh mango, sliced
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. clover honey
2 tsp. fresh lime juice
¼ cup (or to taste) fresh cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
Directions: Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir to blend flavors. Spoon onto a brown-rice tortilla, and fold in half. Secure the bottom of your wrap with a piece of wax paper or aluminum foil. This mixture generously fills one 8-inch brown-rice tortilla, or about four small corn tortillas.
—Provided by Sharissa Greer, founder of Allergyfreemom.com and author of Allergy Free For Mommy And Me: Everyday recipes for families with multiple food allergies
Nutritional facts on this recipe
- The whole grain in the brown-rice tortilla provides iron, fiber and protein—a “bleached” wheat-flour tortilla would not provide as many nutrients.
- Cilantro offers a significant amount of vitamin A.
- Use fruit canned in juice instead of syrup, which adds significantly more calories and sugar.
- The average poultry serving size is about 4 ounces, which is approximately the size of a deck of cards.
- Garbanzo beans provide as much protein and fiber as nuts.
- Extra virgin olive oil contains Omega-6 fatty acids, which play an important role in brain function and have “mood-lifting” properties.
Did You Know?
Olive oil that’s been sitting on your shelf for 6 months may have lost up to 40 percent of its health benefits and antioxidants, according to a recent study presented in the Journal of Food Science, published by the Institute of Food Technologists (www.ift.org).