Q: I am attending my class reunion in a few months and would like to lose 20 pounds. Are there any safe ways to drop weight quickly?
A: Focus on what will allow you to eat the fewest calories while staying satiated, avoiding deprivation and giving you energy. Here are some suggestions:
- Consume your first meal within an hour of getting up and avoid waiting longer than 4 to 5 hours between eating.
- Limit protein to 6 ounces daily and consume 1 ounce of dairy at each main meal.
- Drink at least 64 ounces of non-calorie beverage daily; water is preferred.
- Consume at least 7 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables per day.
- Exercise 3 to 5 days weekly; cardio will burn more calories (100-200 per session) and works best when combined with resistance exercise.
Julie F. Schwartz, M.S., R.D.
Registered Dietician with the Emory Bariatric Center
The Emory Clinic/Emory Healthcare