- 3-4 skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 box of penne pasta (you can substitute for gluten free or whole wheat)
- 1 jar of marinara sauce
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cub shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 3 T melted butter
- 1 T blackened seasoning
- 1 t salt
- 1 T oil
- 1 T spaghetti seasoning* (you can use Italian seasoning as a substitute)
*(Make your own spaghetti seasoning by combining 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/4 cup dried minced onions, 1/4 cup dried parsley flakes, 4 t salt, 4 t sugar, 2 t garlic powder, 2 t oregano, 2 t basil and 1/4 t of dried thyme.)
- Preheat oven to broil. In a bowl, mix melted butter, mozzarella and bread crumbs. Mix well and set aside. In a separate bowl, season chicken with blackening seasoning to taste and mix well.
- Pour oil into a sauté pan over medium heat. Place chicken in pan and cook until it is well done. While chicken is cooking, cook and drain pasta according to package directions. Add cooked chicken in with pasta.
- Sauté the onions over medium heat, and then add marinara sauce. Add the spaghetti seasoning and stir the sauce until it is bubbling hot.
- Pour the marinara sauce over the pasta and chicken and stir well. Pour the pasta mixture evenly into a casserole dish and sprinkle the cheese bread crumb mix on top. Place dish in oven until the cheese topping begins to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes.