The best fitness advice around town
By Amy Begley, head coach of Atlanta Track Club
July 4 is only a month away, which means the AJC Peachtree Raod Race is just around the corner! Whether you’re training with a group or preparing on your own, hopefully you’ve been following a plan for the past couple of months. Here are some tips to make sure you are ready for race day.
Try Out the Course
Get a feel for the AJC Peachtree Road Race by trying out the course ahead of time. You won’t be alone, the course is always packed with runners and walkers on the weekends leading up to the event. It’s a great way to calm any nerves and see how prepared you are. During the month of June, Atlanta Track Club provides a water stop on Peachtree Road near Peachtree Park Drive each Saturday and Sunday from approximately 7 to 10 a.m. Stop by and be sure to thank our volunteers!
On Race Day
There are a few things you can do to make sure you are relaxed and comfortable when you arrive at the start line.
- Don’t do anything new – steer clear of foods you don’t usually eat the night before or the morning of the race, and avoid wearing clothing or shoes that you just bought.
- Arrive early so you aren’t stressed.
- Drink lots of water before, during and after the race, especially if it’s hot.
- Keep in mind that you will be running with 59,999 other people. Even with the most careful training, it could be tough to run a personal best.
- Be sure to take in all of the sights and sounds that make the AJC Peachtree Road Race, the world’s largest 10K, a fun and unique experience.
Good luck, and we’ll see you at the finish line!