Online exclusive recipe from Jennifer Harris, owner of Gluten-Free Go-To Guide
Gluten-Free Turkey Sausage Strata
- 4 slices gluten-free bread, chopped small
- 1 ½ c. eggs (add a drop or two of water)
- 1 lb. sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 c. cheese, shredded
- ½ onion, chopped
- ½ c. Parmesan cheese (optional)
- 1 ½ c. milk (milk substitute)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 325°. Spray 13×9 pan baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Layer the bread until it covers the bottom of the dish.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, ½ cup of cheese, salt and pepper. Blend until frothy. Pour egg mixture evenly over the bread. Next, add in the onions followed by the cooked sausage. Top with additional shredded and parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 55 to 70 minutes or until inserted knife comes out clean. Let stand ten minutes before serving. Serves 12.
Chopped tomatoes, spinach and broccoli also work very well in this strata. You can also substitute coconut milk and vegan cheese, and the results are outstanding. When picking out gluten-free bread, use a plain bread (white or whole grain) and stay away from gluten-free rye because it tends to overpower the other ingredients.
This recipe can be made the night before and baked the next morning. It serves 12 and goes well with a side of freshly chopped fruit, yogurt or hash browns.
For more gluten-free tips and help eating a gluten-free diet, visit Jennifer’s website at www.gfgotoguide.com.