On Wednesday, October 12th, the Arthritis Foundation will lead the United States’ efforts for World Arthritis Day. Arthritis impacts several hundred million people worldwide. It is the leading cause of disability in the United States, with 1.6 million adults and 9,200 children impacted in Georgia. The Arthritis Foundation is calling on those impacted along with their families and friends to join forces and fight the unacceptable pain of this disease.
Observed every year on October 12th since 1996, World Arthritis Day is a global initiative by the United Nations-endorsed Bone and Joint Decade. This year’s theme is “Move To Improve.” Movement is a weapon in the battle against arthritis. Being physically active is especially important for people with rheumatic and musculoskeletal diseases, whether it involved walking, jogging, Tai Chi or tennis.
“World Arthritis Day is about people mobilizing to fight this disease,” says Arthritis Foundation Southeast Region CEO David Popen. “The heavy burden this disease creates – the pain, disability, cost and more – are unacceptable. We are leading efforts to conquer it.”
There are a few ways that you can join the fight to make arthritis pain unacceptable here in the Atlanta area on October 12th and beyond:
- Healing Hands for Arthritis: Schedule a massage at Massage Envy and support Healing Hands for Arthritis! On October 12th, World Arthritis Day, $10 from every massage and facial scheduled will be donated to the Arthritis Foundation. Find the Massage Envy nearest you.
- Come Jingle With Us! Walking and jogging are a great way to Move and Improve. The Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis is a signature holiday event that raises awareness and funds to further the Arthritis Foundation’s work. Tie jingle bells to your shoelaces, wear a holiday-themed costume, and come run or walk a 5 kilometer route with your team members! Be one of the first 1,000 people to register on October 12th, World Arthritis day, and receive a free gift. The Jingle Bell Run/Walk for Arthritis will take place in the Atlanta area on Saturday, December 3rd, at Stone Mountain Park! For more information and to register for the event visit: http://2011jinglebellrunatlanta.kintera.org
Support and Guidance from the Arthritis Foundation: The Arthritis Foundation is the nation’s leading source of support and guidance for adults, children and families impacted by this disease. If arthritis impacts you or your loved one, we can help you in many ways including these opportunities:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis: RA&You: Join us to learn more about rheumatoid arthritis and ways to successfully live with this disease. This free forum takes place on Tuesday, October 11th, from 6 to 8pm at the Lilburn City Hall Auditorium in Lilburn. For information and to register, visit: http://Raandyou.kintera.org
- Osteoarthritis: Find tips to find your Weapon in the fight against Osteoarthritis pain: www.FightArthritisPain.org
- A wealth of additional resources are at your fingertips at www.arthritis.org, including information and support for children and families impacted by juvenile arthritis.