by Laura Carson Miller
Are your nails crying out for mercy after one too many polish color changes? It might be time to switch to a more nail-friendly polish like 1143 H20 Nail Polish. This vegan polish formula is free of chemical solvents and requires no base coat or topcoat with application, so your nails can still breathe. And the best part? Removing this polish only takes water! Simply soak your nails and peel the polish of to reveal healthy nails for the new year.
Heat Lounge Opens at Lenox Square
We know you already love to hit up Lenox Square for the fabulous shopping and dining. Now you can add beautifying to that list with the opening of The Heat Lounge Blowdry and Makeup Bar. This sleek spot offers a fun and relaxing atmosphere providing blowouts, up ’dos, braids, and even your own clip-in extensions. Don’t miss their makeup, lash and facial services, either.
Details: 3393 Peachtree Road NE, Unit #3142A, Atlanta, GA, heatlounge.com/lenox
Use ACV ASAP!
I’m very much a fan of oil and vinegar on my salad, and oils of all kinds – olive, coconut, argan and sea buckthorn – have been stealing the health and beauty spotlights of late. One behind-the-scenes star is apple cider vinegar. I love using Bragg Organic Raw Apple Cider Vinegar. Try adding ACV to your routine in one of these ways:
- Clarifying hair rinse – Did you know that conditioner and other hair products can build up on your hair and rob you of gleaming shine? Put a stop to that with ACV, which can help break down that build-up. Mix some in a cup with water and pour over your hair after your normal shampoo and conditioner routine, or add a bit directly to your shampoo.
- Facial toner – Mix a small amount of ACV in a full spray bottle of distilled water to make your own facial toner. Shake well and squirt a little on a cotton ball. Apply on areas of discoloration, on overly oily areas or all over. (Start with just a dab and keep an eye out for any skin irritations.)
- Teeth brightener – Rub ACV on teeth to help remove surface stains. Rinse with lots of water and grin at everyone you meet!
Top Hair Tips for 2015
Angela Castel, a senior colorist at Atlanta’s Sassoon Salon, offers three tips for starting the new year off with the perfect hair color.
1. Start out fresh. Before your color service, book a clarifying treatment to remove any mineral deposits or product build-up from your hair and scalp. Think exfoliation for your hair.
2. Add some depth. Blondes can add tawny lowlights for a more neutral look or various shades of beige or golden tones to add dimension. Brunettes can enrich their color by adding well-blended shades of wine, caramel or chestnut.
3. Finish with finesse. Always finish your color service with a moisturizing masque for maximum hydration. It will keep your hair looking healthy and shiny.
Details: Sassoon Salon, 3393 Peachtree Road, NE, Atlanta, GA, sassoon-salon.com
Brown is the New Black
Photo courtesy of Fadil Berisha
Break free from your black smoky eye beauty rut! Atlanta’s (PLA) Beauty says brown is the new black. “The black smoky eye is classic, sexy and fabulous, but brown suits most skin tones and can look just as captivating,” shares Stephanie Green Bass, adding that blending creates a seamless finish.
Create the sultry brown smoky eye in two easy steps:
1. Blend (PLĀ) eye shadow in “Smoke” and “Hot Pants” shades all over the lid
2. Add a smudge of “Mother Earth” on the center of the lid
Details: Available at Woo Atlanta, Michele Coulter Salon, Skin IQ, plabeauty.com