While you and the kids enjoy Halloween treats this month, make sure your pets don’t indulge in the wrong things! Keep in mind these tips from David York, owner of Barking Hound Village:
Keep Halloween décor such as pumpkins and corn out of reach. Although they are relatively nontoxic, they can cause upset tummies should your pets ingest them in large quantities.
Prevent accidental ingestion of Halloween candy by keeping pet-safe treats on hand instead. Consider leaving your pet in another part of the house while trick-or-treaters come to the door in case you drop any candy.
Watch your children while they are eating their Halloween candy. Children may make the harmful mistake of sharing with their four-legged friends.
Make sure you keep all candy away from Fido, but especially dark chocolate. This sweet is one of the most common causes of dog poisoning and can lead to serious illness and even death in dogs.
- If you suspect your pet has eaten something harmful, call your veterinarian, the Poison Control Center or the 24-hour ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center hotline at 888-426-4435 immediately.