After a stressful day at work, there is nothing better than walking in the door and seeing your furry friend race across the house as quickly as their little paws can carry them to give you a big, happy hug!
There is science behind the idea of pet therapy. Research shows that just a few minutes with our pets can raise our serotonin levels – making us happier. And those of us who are dog owners are more likely to take walks and get fresh air every day – making us healthier! Pets improve our mood, reduce our stress and can even help us lose weight and ward off heart disease by keeping us physically active (click here to learn more about the power of pets).
Having a pet can have tremendous health benefits, and I would argue that there is a lot our pets can teach us about how to stay happy and healthy. I don’t know about your pets, by my cat, Romeo, always seems pretty happy and stress-free! Here are some things he’s taught me:
- When things get too crazy or loud, seek a quiet place where you can relax.
- Only eat when you’re hungry, and enjoy treats in moderation.
- Show the people you love how much you love them.
- Drink lots of fresh water.
- Make sure you get plenty of sleep.
- Get your Vitamin D from the sun every day.
- There are plenty of ways to get exercise just by playing around the house!
Our pets do so much for us. So what can we do for them? In Jessica Shops’ article, Keep your pets feeling their best, she lists some great products that can help you keep Fido feeling his best.
Sheri Oppenheimer is a health coach at Sweetgrass Spa in Little 5 Points and the Founder of The 100 Women Project. To schedule a FREE health makeover session with her ($125 value), call (404) 522-3223 or email Sheri at email@example.com.