I get asked about cellulite more than any other topic over the last 25 years of being a professional trainer and fitness coach. Let me say it is VERY possible to get rid of it, but it takes your willingness to do a very strict program for around 3-6 months at the least if you have a good deal of visible cellulite. I have seen girls in their 20’s with it so it’s not just age and loose skin mixed in with more lower body fat however it is mainly in women over the age of 35 due to the less elastic skin and higher adipose tissue.
Some say it’s toxins in the skin but I am not sold on that explanation at all because we all have toxins but we don’t all have cellulite. Now, what I do know is that women without a lot of muscle in their glutes and lower body all have more cellulite because there is no underlying structure to the fat we are all going to have back there as women. Also, with a lower body far the dimply fat goes away and looks better so the culprit we are attacking in this article is the lack of muscle in the glutes and a body fat that is too high. They both go hand in hand and it’s not fixed by endless cardio and low card eating because you will always lose muscle along with fat. So how do you build a nice butt while at the same time lowering your body fat which is the answer to the cellulite issue?
Let me first outline what must be done then we will go into more detail in the next article.
- You must attack your glutes with weight training using exercises that are going to isolate and break down the muscle so that it will rebuild firmer and you must do it every 3-6 days without missing workouts!
- You must eat not only more complex carbs on leg training day but also ingest a whey protein and carb shake immediately after your weight training to allow for glycogen loading and to initiate the rebuilding process in the muscle fibers. Basically you are allowing the basic building blocks of protein to saturate the muscle cells within a time frame that is crucial to the rebuilding process. It should be a certain gram amount and ratio for your specific body type and size.
- You must not underestimate the power of the last step!
- You must get between 120-150 grams of high quality lean protein everyday and never longer than 3 hours for ingestion of protein. If you don’t do this step I would tell you to not even waste your time because your body cannot store amino acids and if you don’t eat them every 3 hours your body will get them by breaking down your own muscle! Re-read this if you need to!
- You can do cardio but must not overkill this because it further breaks down your leg muscles. They cannot recover from the kind of weight training they need and an hour of cardio daily. I recommend 30-45 minutes 3 or 4 days a week.
- Drink about a half to whole gallon a day depending on your size to help hydrate your system so you can metabolize the fat. A dehydrated person cannot burn fat very well.
- Eat only real foods. Simple but try it. Clean lean and natural as you can to lower toxic load and help keep your metabolism running correctly and will help you stabilize blood sugar levels and of course, burn fat!
Since this article is about muscle and fat loss, I will add that a few supplements can help you get your protein every day and aid in fat loss:
- Whey protein shake
- Amino acid drink called Power Shock
- Cyto-carb is carb powder for after weight training
- L glutamine after weight training (1 tsp)
If you would like more details or guidance for your specific needs please contact me.