What are the most common
symptoms of arthritis?
There are two basic types of arthritis: osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis. Osteoarthritis is a degenerative condition that causes stiffness and pain in the joints, and is usually the result of aging. Rheumatoid arthritis is a chronic inflammatory condition that causes joints to swell and become painful. The exact cause of rheumatoid arthritis is not known, although one reason for the prevalence of rheumatoid arthritis may be a high-fat, high-cholesterol diet.
Are certain people at a higher risk for developing arthritis?
Inflammatory arthritis is more common in countries where rich foods are eaten, such as the United States, Canada, Western Europe, Australia and New Zealand. (In a few people, some plant proteins, such as the gluten of wheat, may also be a contributor.)
How is arthritis diagnosed?
There is no singular test for diagnosing rheumatoid arthritis. Instead, rheumatoid arthritis is diagnosed based on a combination of the presentation of the joints involved, characteristic joint stiffness in the morning, the presence of blood rheumatoid factor and citrulline antibody, as well as findings of rheumatoid nodules and radiographic changes (X-ray testing).
Does diet affect arthritis?
Yes. Some foods that may relieve general arthritis symptoms include:
- Fruits, particularly those high in vitamin C, such as blackberries, strawberries, raspberries, kiwi fruit, peaches, mango and cantaloupe melon.
- Vegetables high in vitamin A (beta-carotene) and vitamin C including carrots, squash, sweet potato, spinach, kale, collard greens, broccoli, cabbage and Brussels sprouts.
- Oily Fish rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids and high in vitamin E such as salmon, mackerel, sardines, herring, tuna and trout.
- Nuts and Seeds rich in omega-3 essential fatty acids and high in vitamin E including unsalted nuts like walnuts, brazil nuts and almonds, and seeds like sunflower, linseeds and pumpkin seeds.
- Pulses and Grains found in lentils, chickpeas, brown rice and whole wheat bread.
- Anti-Inflammatory Foods such as turmeric, ginger, garlic and apples.
What are the most common treatments for arthritis?
Recent studies have highlighted the role of food sensitivities in some arthritis sufferers, and this can involve the exclusion of obvious trigger foods. The ALCAT is the most effective and comprehensive sensitivity/intolerance test available. This differs from other food allergy or intolerance tests as it accurately and objectively measures leukocyte cellular reactivity in whole blood, which is a final common pathway of all mechanisms.
What are the best ways to manage arthritis pain?
The following lifestyle changes can alleviate osteoarthritis and other types of joint inflammation:
- Low-impact aerobic activity
- Range of motion exercises for flexibility
- Strength training for muscle tone
- Sleeping 8 to 10 hours a night and taking naps during the day
- Avoiding staying in one position for too long
- Avoiding positions or movements that place extra stress on joints
- Stress-reducing activities such as meditation, yoga or tai chi
Natural Health Atlanta
5755 North Point Parkway, Suite #53
Alpharetta, GA 30022
Natural Health Atlanta is committed to taking a holistic approach that will look at the imbalances and work toward restoring this balance for the body.