Face/eye lifts
Thomas Eye Group
Kenneth R. Neufeld, MD Kenneth R. Neufeld, MD

Is Laser Blepharoplasty Right for You?

Excess skin and puffiness found in the upper or lower eyelids can be modified with blepharoplasty surgery. With the most technologically advanced laser used to perform this procedure, there is virtually no bleeding when sculpting and modifying excess fatty tissue. Although patients are given medication for pain following blepharoplasty surgery, most never need to take any medication.

Your Surgical Experience

Blepharoplasty is performed in an outpatient setting, which allows patients to rest at home immediately following the procedure. Patients are usually administered mild sedation from an IV medication inserted through a vein in their arm. The sedation ensures that patients are totally comfortable during the procedure and have no memory of the surgery. Local anesthesia is then applied to the operative area to further ensure total patient comfort. While the length of this procedure varies from patient to patient, on average, surgery takes 30 minutes for both upper eyelids and 30 minutes for both lower eyelids.

After Surgery

Following the procedure, patients are observed for a short while before returning home. Patients go home without any patch or bandages. The first two days following surgery should be spent in a relaxed environment with the head elevated, applying antibiotic ointment and frozen ice packs to the eyelids several times per day. This will help keep swelling to a minimum.

Before and AfterInitially the eyelids may feel tight, but this sensation usually resolves over the first week or so. On average, one week following this procedure, approximately 70-80 percent of swelling will have dissipated. After two weeks, close to 90 percent of the swelling will have dissipated, while the remaining 10 percent will decrease over the next few weeks to a month.

 

Kenneth R. Neufeld, MD
Thomas Eye Group

Kenneth R. Neufeld, M. D. is a board-certified ophthalmologist and oculoplastic surgeon with specialized training in cosmetic and functional procedures around the upper face, brows and eyelids. He received his medical degree from the State University of New York at Syracuse and completed his ophthalmology residency at The New York Hospital – Cornell Medical Center. His fellowship training in oculoplastic, reconstructive and laser surgery was completed at the Duke University Medical Center.

Dr. Neufeld specializes in treating eye-watering problems, droopy lids or brows, orbital tumors, eyelid malpositions and skin cancers. He also provides cosmetic services such as Botox, dermal fillers such as Restylane, Juvedern and Voluma. His special interest in using the laser helps him achieve optimal results with minimal recovery time. He is a member of the Medical Association of Georgia, American Academy of Ophthalmology and the American Association of Cosmetic Surgery.

 

Sponsored by: Thomas Eye Group | 5995 Barfield Road NE | Atlanta, Georgia 30328
Phone: (404) 256-1507 | www.thomaseyegroup.com